Thinning thick hair at home can get really easy once you learn how to thin hair with scissors. A special kind of scissors, exclusive for thinning hair is available at beauty salons. They are known as ‘thinning shears’. Purchase one and you can learn to use them by following the instructions given below.
- Wash, condition and dry your hair well. Use a blow dryer if required.
- Brush your hair into the style that you sport. Use of flat irons may be required in case of wavy or curly hair.
- Identify the over thick areas of your hair and using a comb, part the area into even sections.
- Hold out one of the sections of the hair and slide open the thinning shears halfway through the length of the hair from the scalp.
- Snip the shears just once and open it out immediately. Remove the thinning shears from the section of hair and run a comb through the section.
- The snipped hair strands will fall down. Repeat the same procedure with the remaining sections until you are done with your entire head.
- If you feel that the first snip has not thinned the hair section enough, snip it once again. This time, place the thinning shears 1/3 way up from the ends of the hair.
- Snipping twice will be sufficient for straight and wavy hair, while curly hair may require a third snip as well.
If you do not wish to use thinning shears to thin hair at home, then the following tips might help you thin your hair at home.
- Use hair thinning products like skinny shampoos and conditioners.
- Get a haircut that facilitates thinning of hair like a razor cut or layers.
- Straightening hair with flat irons or hair straighteners can make it appear thin.
- Apply a thick coat of mayonnaise to the hair prior to washing and let it sit for half an hour. This may reduce the volume of hair considerably, or at least make it look thinner.